I have been talking about this for awhile now. Excellent example of why this is the BEST time to BUY! Great examples here for sellers who are concerned about selling their home in today's market. The Springfield MO real estate market is perfect for anyone wanted to step up in home size or price.
Why should you buy a home now?
I firmly believe that we will all look back on 2009 and say "I wish I got that house back in 2009!"
It is truly a buyers market.
- More inventory than we have seen in years... So Many choices for buyers.
- Interest rates are at very affordable levels
- Sellers are becoming more willing to negotiate
- Lower prices than we have seen in years
- The median price of homes in Monmouth and Ocean counties are at a low point now and appear to be stable
What if you have a home to sell?
Worried about losing money on the sale of your home? You have to take into account the money you will save when you buy your new home.
Here are some completely contrived numbers to illustrate the example:
If your home was "worth" $225,000 in 2004 and you have to sell it for closer to $200,000. In your mind you feel like you are losing $25,000. That is NOT the case. First off, Hind site is 20/20, and you can kick yourself for not selling at the high forever.
You pick up much more when you move up to your next home. If the home you want to buy is $300,000 and the numbers work out in a similar fashion to the above number, you effectively buy your next house at a $37,500 discount. So in one scenario you see yourself as losing $25,000 but on the other you save $37,500... Thus realizing a $12,500 gain by buying the more expensive house at a discount...
So NOW is a great opportunity to buy if you plan to keep the house for the long run, I doubt you can go wrong.
More reasons NOW is the time to buy:
- The average rate for a 30 year mortgage over the past 20 years is about 7.5%, over the past 40 years, 9.5%.. but NOW we have rates near historic low levels, in the low 5's depending on credit score etc.
- First time buyers only have about 2 months left to buy and close on a home and Uncle Sam will give you $8,000 via a tax credit. (there are a few restrictions on the tax credit, but nothing crazy)
- Rates may start to climb in October as the stimulus money runs out
- Contrary to popular belief: It is not hard to get a mortgage today!
I could go on, but I am convinced that you cant go wrong buying a home now if you plan to keep it for a few years.
Have a great week!
Since 1987 I have been helping my clients fulfill their dream of home ownership!
Real Estate Mortgage Network
NJ Mortgages, New Jersey Mortgages, Mortgages in NJ, mortgage in New Jersey, Mortgages in New Jersey
About the author: I am full-time REALTOR® with RE/MAX Solutions in Springfield, MO, and a member of the Greater Springfield Board of REALTORS®. I have helped hundreds of families in the Springfield, Nixa, Republic and Ozark real estate markets, whether buying a home, or selling a home. Visit my website to search for All Springfield MO Area MLS listings. Want to know what our market is like? My website is also an excellent resource for current Springfield MO Area Real Estate Market Reports, as well as current market reports for Ozark, Nixa, Republic, and Rogersville.